1) We may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.
2) Men for the sake of getting a living, forget to live.
[Margaret Fuller, 1810-1850]
3) There is the greatest practical benefit in making a few failures early in life.
[T. H. Huxley]
4) You will make all kinds of mistakes but as long as you are generous and true and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her.
[Sir Winston Churchill]
5) If you want to win anything – a race, yourself, your life – you have to go a little berserk!
6) You are beaten to earth?
Well, well what’s that?
Come up with a smiling face,
It’s nothing against you
to fall down flat
But to lie there – that’s a disgrace.
7) There are 2 things to aim in life: First to get what you want and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second.
[Logan Pearsall Smith]
8) Don’t play for safety – it’s the most dangerous thing in the world.
9) Have no fear for perfection – You’ll never reach it.
10) It’s easy enough to be pleasant when life flows like a song,
but the one worthwhile is the one who will smile when everything goes dead wrong,
For the test of the heart is trouble and it always comes with the years,
And the smile that is worth all the praises of the Earth is the smile that shines through the tears.
11) There are 4 things which never come back again once they are gone; 1- the words said out, 2- the arrows shot, 3- the time past and 4- an opportunity lost.
12) We wear the mask that grins and lies
It shades our cheeks and shades our eyes
This debt we pay to human guile
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile.
13) Go the extra miles. It’s never crowded.
14) I have learned grace from the rivers,
Poise from the cliffs and peaks;
I have learned always to listen
for wisdom when beauty speaks.
15) There is no thrill in easy sailing where the skies are clear and blue,
There is no joy in merely doing things that anyone can do,
But there’s something that’s called satisfaction that is damned mighty sweet to take,
When you reach a destination that you thought you’d never make.
16) In the depth of winter I finally learned there was in me invisible summer.
17) Fear less, hope more; whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more; hate less, love more;
and all good things are yours.
18) For everything you have MISSED, you have GAINED something else.
[Ralph Waldo Emerson]
19) Unless you try to do something beyond what you already mastered, you will never grow.
[Ronald E. Osborn]
20) What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be.
21) You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.
22) You have within you right now, everything you need to deal with whatever the world can throw at you.
23) There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.
24) Do or do not. There is no try.
25) Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
26) How a person masters his fate is more important than what his fate is.
[Wilhelm von Humboldt]
27) For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it,
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it,
For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
Wonder to me, is a good place to be
It helps to to think, it helps you to see
Life’s full of twists and turns will abound
But wonder and insights can guide you around
Explore what you may and fill up your mind
And hold in your heart the mysteries you find
Wonder is the saying you yearn
And making a choice in which way you turn
The best path you take will always be right
Cause if you wrong, you can make it right
Each new step you take when you listen and hear
Will give you more courage and freedom from fear
So wonder my love, rid-off your doubt
And you will rejoice with how you turn out
And though you may fall and struggle too
Know that I’ll be there and will always love you
[edited from Jill Thieme’s poem to her daughter]
29) REACHING BEYOND
Do you reach beyond to touch the sky, or lag behind afraid to try?
Do you reach beyond to learn anew, or hesitate – the same old you?
Do you reach beyond to test your limit, or do you tell yourself I am timid?
Do you reach beyond to lead the pack, or do you waste time looking back?
Do you reach beyond and strive to find, better ways to stretch your mind?
Do you reach beyond to care and share, and help some others do and dare?
Do you reach beyond, expect the best, or have you given up the quest?
Do you reach beyond and claim your space, here and now, this time, this place?
Do you reach beyond and try to soar, or sadly, play it safe once more?